Monday, June 23, 2014

When You Just Need a Time Out...

You've probably heard this before, but that's because it's true...

One of the best things about being a SAHM is being with your kids all day long.

One of the most challenging parts about being a SAHM is being with your kids all day long.

Lest anyone think I am waging the mommy wars, I will go ahead and clarify that with 100% of my being, I think any combo of being a mom and whatever else (staying home, working at home, working somewhere else) is equally hard. I've done some combination of all of them, and seriously, y'all, they're all hard in different ways.

Whew. Disclaimer made. ;)

But one of those things I think SAHMs sometimes feel stressed about is that being home thing. The lack of a break. Sure, they can watch TV if both of their kids nap at the same time. They can blow off folding laundry and play on Pinterest (I see those envious looks, WAHMS. ;) ) BUT...if they need a break?

Nobody cares.

That's not true. Your best friend, husband, mom, dad, whoever loves you and is over four feet tall...They might care. But those cute little crazy people who run around your house dumping enough Cheerios on the floor to feed an entire country? They really don't care about your need for a few mental health moments.

Here are the best ways I can come up with, fellow mommies, to get at least a small break on those days when you think there's not enough coffee in the world help you make it to bedtime:

1. Shut the door when you go to the bathroom. Yes, we have to go there. Moms, shut the door. It's two minutes. Having that to yourself will go a long way towards calming down your day. Put your kid in the high chair and turn on the TV for two minutes if you don't feel its safe to leave your munchkin alone, but seriously? I'm over the "moms have company in the bathroom" school of thought. Let's let this one go, okay?

2. Listen to your music. Tell your adorable kiddo-pies that Mommy needs some music time. Turn it on loud and let it calm you down (I really like to turn on worship music when it's the last thing I want to listen to...It usually helps.)

3. Give yourself a break. Emotionally, that is. Remind yourself that usually you feed your kids 10000000% organic, blah, blah, blah, free range, blah, blah meals and give them a sandwich and chips on days like this. Yes, you heard me. Chips. They'll be fine. Lose the mom guilt already.

4. Leave the house. Hopefully you can think of something fun to do, which will help even more, but driving anywhere puts your kids in a safe, contained place and gives you a few minutes to yourself. Bonus points if you use this driving time to get yourself Starbucks. ;)

And my personal, crazy-sounding favorite...

5. Do something fun with your kids. What? Yeah, I know. This one sounds crazy. But if you're finding yourself counting down to bedtime (haha, especially if it's, like, ten in the morning when you start this...) then jumping in there with your kids and just enjoying them is the quickest way I've found to fix this attitude. Pull out some fingerpaints, hang up their masterpieces when they're done, and I can almost promise you that the ten minutes all of this takes can turn your attitude 180 degrees. Again, I know your brain is telling me this one makes no sense. Trust me. It really does.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes

 

The Naptime Novelists | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates