Friday, June 6, 2014

A Weekday Adventure

While many view the WAHM life as the perfect compromise between work and family, it can be hard to find that balance and maintain it. But it is possible!

When new mamas approach me for advice on how to make this attainable, I have plenty of practical advice for them (this is a post for another day). But the most important thing, as I cannot emphasize enough, is to set boundaries between work and family. You're not doing anyone any favors if your mind is always in another place.

I will preface this post by saying there are many days when I fail at this. I have one foot in the door of mothering and one foot still thinking about a blog post I need to write for work, head up in the clouds brainstorming a story, or nose glued to my inbox waiting for an answer.

But on Wednesday, I set boundaries. I finished all of my work, turned off social media, and I took my baby girl out on a fun adventure. Everything else would just have to wait. :)


The day started at one of our favorite places...










There, AG's charming smile earned her a taste of delicious carrot from a farmer from whom we bought some fresh rainbow chard, broccoli, new potatoes to roast with some rosemary, and our favorite:


With strawberries this delicious, can you blame us for sampling some post haste?


From there, we headed to the playground on that side of town. 

 

Homegirl had a blast and worked up an appetite, so we packed up a lunch.
Her new favorite obsession is picnics. She asks for one for every meal, every day. 
Our picnic had a few guests...




They practically charged us when they saw us approaching the table with our food. AG loved it!

After lunch, it was time for a long, well-deserved nap and then to the gym where mama worked up a sweat and AG got to play with fun toys and good friends. And when her daddy came home from work, she couldn't wait to tell him all about her day. 

So the moral of the story is, it was a day we'll both remember for a long time. It was so good to put aside work and be intentional about spending uninterrupted time with my baby girl. Something I need to take advantage of more often before it's too late!

What are your favorite things to do with your kids/on your days off?
Are you like me and need to work on regular breaks from your "screens"?



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes

 

The Naptime Novelists | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates